Sunday, June 14, 2009

War Letters: Part 2

December 1990

Camp Lejeune, North Carolina

Dear Lynda:

I think I’ve said just about everything I wanted to say to you about how I feel about you and our coming separation. I just wanted to write a few words to you. This will not be easy for either of us, but we’ll come through it OK. You must know how much I love you. You are my only reason for living.

I know you don’t really understand why we Marines feel the way we do. We see it as our duty to do as we’re ordered. This country is like no other. As Marines, we’ll do anything to get the job done. We fight. We like to fight. It’s our job.

In many ways, I’m glad I’m going. I feel I’ll be a part of history, at the same time helping others who have been abused very badly.

I’d feel even more gung-ho if it wasn’t for you. If I didn’t have you waiting for me back home, I’d probably go all out and do crazy things. But don’t worry. I’m not volunteering for anything.

My sense of honor and duty for the Corps is almost as strong as my love, respect, and faith for you. At least I hope I can perform that way in all my duties.

I’m sorry I made you cry with all my talk about possibly not coming back, but I feel we must discuss all possibilities. Try not to worry about me while I’m gone. There’s not a whole lot you can do for me. The Corps will take care of me. You do what’s best for you and take care of yourself and the house…and don’t forget to beat up Boo Vomitus (our cat) every now and then.


Boo Vomitus kitty...stupid-assed cat


Remember…you’re tough and strong. You’re a Marine wife. It’s one of the toughest jobs in the world, so be proud.

Don’t forget that you have many friends and family that are willing to help you. Please don’t hesitate to call them. I’d be disappointed if you got into a bind and didn’t ask for some help.

Keep the flag flying and keep your spirits up, baby. I love you very much, and I’ll be coming home to you before too long.

Semper Fi!

Love always,

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment away with your bad-ass selves.

Cursing and foul language is fine...even encouraged here. In fact, I think cussing is fucking wonderful.

Just remember...this is MY house, and I will not be insulted or maliciously messed with here.

Good-natured ribbing is cool, but if you and I don't have some kind of previous relationship, you had best mind your fucking manners or I will relegate you to the intardnets dustbin for being a cunt.

To know me is to love me.

Or something.

Maybe.