Sunday, June 14, 2009

War Letters: Part 8

January 26, 1991

In the middle of the desert near Kabrit, Saudi Arabia

Dear Lynda:

Hello baby! How are you? I’m fine.

I called you again this morning. It sure was nice to hear your voice again, even though the line was bad and I could barely understand you. It’s been difficult to get a line around here. I’ve been trying to call you the last three days.

Jim tells me that you and Stacy got locked out of the Reserve Center, and it was cold as hell. What the heck were you doing?

It rained again here last night. I managed to stay pretty dry. It’s sunny and windy and kind of chilly right now. Life’s been pretty boring around here lately…not much to do. I guess that’s better than the alternatives!

They said on the radio this morning that the Iraqis dumped tons of oil into the Gulf. I guess that effectively cancels any plans for an amphibious landing on Kuwait. The Iraqis can set it afire and prevent us from making our beach assaults.

We got word that somebody’s wife at your support meeting blabbed that she knew where in Saudi that we’re set up. That’s not a good thing, babe, for several reasons.

One…it means that an idiot here told her. We all know we’re not supposed to tell our wives that stuff. We could get our phone privileges revoked.

Two…if the wives know, then the Iraqis probably know too, and that could compromise our safety. You’ve got to be careful about who you talk to and what you say. Security is important to all of us. I’m sure you’ll agree.

We’ve also heard that Cpl. Shortridge’s wife is starting some kind of peace or anti-war movement.

I hope you don’t get involved with some shit like that. I’d be very disappointed and ashamed. I don’t believe you’d do such a thing to me, baby!

I think all the protesters are dividing the country, and nobody needs that.

I pulled out my wallet last evening to look at your picture…like I normally do when I bed down. It’s one of our wedding photos. You look so incredibly beautiful, baby! I can’t believe what a babe I got for a wife! I’m such a lucky man to have you as my wife. You can’t imagine how much I love and miss you!


Lynda on our wedding day. This is the same photo I carried during the war. I still carry it in my wallet today.


I also look at Monica’s (my little niece) picture…almost as much as I look at yours. I’m really looking forward to the time when we can have a little one of our own! It will be the most beautiful child in the world…and the most spoiled.


Monica, my little niece.


Oh yeah…next time you send mail, please put “Wire Platoon” on the address somewhere. It’ll help the mail get sorted faster and easier. I’m happy to hear that you sent four packages. That’ll be very nice. Thanks a lot. I hope I get them!

Well…gotta go, babe. Please take care.

I “wub” you.

Semper Fi!

Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment away with your bad-ass selves.

Cursing and foul language is fine...even encouraged here. In fact, I think cussing is fucking wonderful.

Just remember...this is MY house, and I will not be insulted or maliciously messed with here.

Good-natured ribbing is cool, but if you and I don't have some kind of previous relationship, you had best mind your fucking manners or I will relegate you to the intardnets dustbin for being a cunt.

To know me is to love me.

Or something.

Maybe.