Saturday, May 9, 2009

Part 9- My Fantastic Supreme 2009 Indy 500 Photo Diary Blog Type Thang: One Of My Turns

Author's note: The following are my opinions, but evidence suggests that I am not the only long-time supporter of the Indy 500/IMS who feels this way.

I went to Pole day today at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway, but I didn’t go as your Unofficial Indy 500 Photo/Blogger dude.

I didn’t take one picture, unless you count the one I took of my old racin’ buddy taking a nap with his puppy on the couch during all the drama.

I simply sat in the Northwest Vista and observed as a fan.

It was windy and kinda cold.

There were a couple of wrong mistakes committed today at Indy, but I’m not going to report on them because you can read about them and see them all over the place if you want to.

Really…If you’ve seen one destroyed Honda/Dallara/Firestone, you’ve seen ‘em all.

Drama.

Honestly, I come away from Pole Day today kinda sad and pissed and disappointed.

The crowd was sparse.

Drama.

Every car gets untold hundreds of chances to qualify.

Drama.

Hells bells…Paul Tracy got bumped, then bumped back into the field of 11, half a dozen times or more, and he performed only one qualification run.

Drama.

Who will get the pole? Which red car? Will it be Penske or Ganassi? And tell me again…how many chances do they get to bump their teammate off the pole? I forget.

Drama.

Maybe it’s just me.

Maybe I’m just getting too old for this shit.

Maybe I still remember how it used to be.

Maybe I miss the old friends who are no longer with us, and the good times we had.

Maybe it’s because the month of May makes me think of my dad, and I still miss him.

Maybe I should only go to the race, and forget attending practice days and quals, because it’s never going to be as good as it once was.

Maybe I should look for somebody to blame, but that’s been done already. I try not to rehash.

In an interview today, Scott Sharp was comparing the American LeMans Series (ALMS) to IndyCar. Basically, he said the ALMS cars were high-tech, highly innovative machines, while the IndyCars were pedal to the metal left turn drone-fests.

He’ll probably get some flak for saying what he said, but maybe he has a point.

Back in olden times, IndyCars were high tech and highly innovative.

Maybe when the new car rules come into effect, things will get better.

Maybe I should just sit back and enjoy it for what it is now.

Maybe I should find a new hobby.

Maybe I should drink more.

Maybe I’m just having one of my turns.

Who’s to say? Certainly not me.

In the meantime, I wait.

Drama.

Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment away with your bad-ass selves.

Cursing and foul language is fine...even encouraged here. In fact, I think cussing is fucking wonderful.

Just remember...this is MY house, and I will not be insulted or maliciously messed with here.

Good-natured ribbing is cool, but if you and I don't have some kind of previous relationship, you had best mind your fucking manners or I will relegate you to the intardnets dustbin for being a cunt.

To know me is to love me.

Or something.

Maybe.